CANADA BUSINESS INVESTOR PROGRAM
By Nahla Abouelnour
Investment in Canada is one of the ideal approach to secure permanent residency in Canada. Sometimes, it is the feasible way to start your new home in Canada. The journey starts by assisting each individual client situation, experience, qualifications, skills, documents and resources to secure Canadian permanent residency for her/him.
Here are the most recommended points to fulfill to qualify for Canada Business Investor Program:
- Applicant should have at least 2 years’ experience working at managerial level like he was working in management, or worked as Manager level or as Business Owner.
- Primary applicant must be at least 18 years of age
- She or he should has the desire to start and building business in Canada.
- Has the required liquidity of CAN $ 200,000 to start his application
- Based on family size should have one year’s living expenses to cover sustain care of her/his family in Canada.
- Pass IELTS score with level 5.
As a wonderful country, Canada has ten provinces and three territories subdivisions. There are subdivisions which vary widely in both land and water areas. The largest subdivision by land area is the territory of Nunavut.
Alphabetically, there are the provinces arranged in order: Alberta, British Columbia, Manitoba, New Brunswick, Newfoundland and Labrador, Nova Scotia, Ontario, Prince Edward Island, Quebec, and Saskatchewan. The three territories are Northwest Territories, Nunavut, and Yukon
Investor Programs by Province
QUEBEC INVESTOR PROGRAM
Québec is mainly French-speaking province in eastern Canada with 2 vibrant cities in its south, connected by the Chemin du Roy highway along the Saint Lawrence River. The majority of the population consists of French-Canadians, the descendants of 17th century French settlers who have kept their unique language and cultural characteristics.
Here are conditions for investment program in Quebec:
- Investor should have net assets of at least C$2,000,000, excluding any amounts received by donation less than six months before your application is submitted
- Should have management experience for at least two years in the last five years.
- Has experience like planning, management and control of financial, human or material resources under your authority. Experience in an apprenticeship, training or specialization leading to a diploma.
- Intend to settle in Québec
- Sign an investment agreement with a financial intermediary (broker or trust company).
- Make a five-year term investment of C$1,200,000 with Investment Québec – Immigrants Investiseurs Inc.
- Obtain an attestation of learning about democratic values and every members of your family accompanying you (including your spouse 16 years of age or older and your dependent children of 18 years of age or older).
- The investment agreement is one of the documents to be submitted with the permanent selection application.
- The investment of C$1,200,000 for a five-years term is guaranteed by the Government of Québec.
- Brokers and trust companies offer the possibility of financing the investment.
- Revenues generated by the applicant’s investment will be used to finance two Québec business assistance programs:
1-Business Assistance—Immigrant Investor Program (BAIIP)
2-Employment Integration Program for Immigrants and Visible Minorities (PRIIME)
- At the end of the five-year term, the broker or trust company will reimburse the applicant C$1,200,000 without interest, within 30 days. However, the amount reimbursed may vary if the applicant secured financing for the investment.
There are other factors, such as your age, education and language skills
ONTARIO INVESTOR PROGRAM
Ontario is one of the thirteen provinces and territories of Canada. Being located in central Canada, and the most busy province, with 38.3 percent of the country’s population, and is the second-largest province by total area (after Quebec). Ontario is Canada’s fourth-largest jurisdiction in total area when the territories of the Northwest Territories and Nunavut are included. It is home to the capital city, Ottawa, and the most populous city, Toronto, which is also Ontario’s provincial capital. Toronto famous CN Tower along with other tourists areas make this city visitors’ favorite from all over the world.
Here are conditions for investment program in Ontario:
1–Ontario Immigrant Nominee Program (OINP),
2- Provincial Nominee Program (PNP)
OINP Business includes the following streams:
Successful applicants must start a new business or buy business in which they participate in the day-to-day management duties.
|Express Entry profile||No|
|Connection to Province||No|
|Language Proficiency||CLB 4/ 5|
|Level of Education||No minimum|
|Work Experience||Business owner or senior manager like business management, for at least 24 months of the last 60 months.|
|Investment of $200,000 CAD
Personal Net Worth: $400,000 CADIf business:· In the Greater Toronto Area (GTA): $800,000.Outside the GTA: $400,000.In the ICT/Digital Communications sector: $400,000, regardless of location.
|Personal investment||If business:
In the GTA: $600,000 + minimum equity ownership of 33.3%.
Outside the GTA: $200,000 + minimum equity ownership of 33.3%.
In ICT/Digital Communications sector: $200,000 + minimum equity ownership of 33.3%, regardless of location.
|Job creation||If business is in the GTA:
At least two permanent, full-time jobs for Canadian citizens / permanent residents.
If business is outside the GTA or ICT/Digital Communications sector:
At least one permanent, full-time jobs for Canadian citizens / permanent residents.
|Exploratory visit||Individuals who plan on purchasing an existing business must make at least one business-related visit to Ontario in the last 12 months prior to the date the application was submitted.|
Ineligible businesses in Ontario
Businesses inside the GTA are ineligible if:
- Existing Franchises in Ontario (but new foreign franchises expanding into Ontario are permitted).
- Gas Stations
- Tire Recycling
- Scrap Metal Recycling
- Bed and Breakfasts
- Holding Companies
- Automated Car Washes
- Pay day loan businesses
The following businesses outside of the GTA are ineligible if:
- Tire Recycling
- Scrap Metal Recycling
- Holding Companies
- Automated Car Washes
- Pay day loan businesses
ALBERTA INVESTOR PROGRAM
Alberta is one of the thirteen provinces and territories of Canada. It has estimated population of 4,067,175 people as of the 2016 census, it is Canada’s fourth most populous province. Alberta’s area is approximately 660,000 square kilometers. Alberta is bordered by the provinces of British Columbia to the west and Saskatchewan to the east, the Northwest Territories to the north, and the U.S. state of Montana to the south.
Alberta is one of three Canadian provinces and territories to border only a single U.S. state. The capital, Edmonton, is in the centre of the province; it is the primary supply for Canada’s crude oil. About 290 km (180 mi) south of Edmonton is Calgary, the largest city in Alberta.
Alberta Immigrant Nominee Program (AINP):
Alberta has 2 streams for entrepreneurs who plan to live in Alberta and buy or start a business in the province:
1-International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration Stream IGEIS
This stream is for those who want to start or buy a business can submit an Expression of Interest (EOI).
Experienced farmers who plan to buy or start a farm in Alberta can apply for permanent residence.
Guidance & Conditions for Candidate Investors in Alberta
1-International Graduate Entrepreneur Immigration IGEIS
|Education||Complete 2 years of full-time education in Alberta
Have degree or diploma from post-secondary institution
|Language||F / E = CLB 7|
|Work permit||Have a post-graduation work permit (PGWP0) for 2 at the time of your Expression of Interest (EOI) submission.|
|Business Establishment||Have a business with a min 34% ownership
The partner must be Canadian or PR
|Work Experience||Have a min 6 months of full-time work (managing or owning business)|
2-SELF-EMPLOYED FARMER STREAM
Two steps to applying to this stream:
- Candidates submit their business plan to Alberta Agriculture and Forestry.
- A Ministerial Recommendation Letter is issued to candidates with a business plan approved by Alberta Agriculture and Forestry. Candidates can then apply to the AINP.
Farm management skills
Proof that they have farm management skills.
- financial documentation of an existing farm business
- documentation of education, training and work experience
- a proposed business plan for the farming enterprise you are considering in Alberta
- proof that a Canadian financial institution is willing to finance your proposed farming business
What is sufficient financial resources?
You have to invest a min of CAD $500,000 of equity in a primary production farming business in Alberta.
Primary production investment
Applicants must document their investment plans in a proposed business plan.
In addition, applications representing the best opportunity for growth relevant to Alberta’s agri-food targets will be given priority.
The following individuals are not eligible to apply under the AINP Self-Employed Farmer Stream:
- Refugee claimants, or individuals involved in a federal appeal or removal process; as it is not the mandate of the AINP to intervene in the federal refugee claim, appeal or removal process.
- Those who live-in caregivers currently living in Canada
- Temporary foreign workers working and residing in a province other than Alberta.
- International students studying in Canada, including students doing co-op work placements or internships as part of their study program
BRITISH COLOMBIA INVESTOR PROGRAM
British Columbia, is the westernmost province, which bounded by its Pacific coastline and mountain ranges. Nature areas like Glacier National Park offer hiking and biking trails, as well as campgrounds. Whistler Blackcomb is a major ski resort that hosted the 2010 Winter Olympics. The most famous city, Vancouver, is a city known for its film industry, at the province’s southern U.S. borders.
Here are investments possibilities:
- Entrepreneur Immigration Stream and
- Regional Pilot Program.
1-Entrepreneur Immigration Stream:
- Have a personal net worth of at least CAD$600,000
- Demonstrate business and/or management experience
- Have, or be eligible for, legal immigration status in Canada
- Have basic English or French language (CLB) level 4 or higher
- An eligible new business or purchase and improve an existing business
- Make an eligible personal investment of at least CAD$200,000 in the business
- Create at least one new full-time job for a Canadian citizen or PR in the business
2-Regional Pilot Program:
- Population of fewer than 75,000 people.
- You must complete an exploratory visit to the community.
- A min investment of $ 100,00 CAD
- A personal net worth at least $300,00 CAD
- Own at least 51% of the company
- Create at least one new job
- Have a business and settle in a B.C.
- Complete an exploratory visit
- min of $ 100,000 in business
- min net worth $ 300,000
- min of 51 % ownership
- min of one new job